Council on Aging
Mount Washington has a Council on Aging, as do most towns throughout the state. The primary audience is residents 60 years of age and older though there are programs that include all ages such as the Mt Wash Welcome Wagon.
With our small population, programming is delivered out of Town Hall or in peoples’ homes rather than through a senior center which is what you find in larger towns. We also subsidize programs that benefit an older population such as the Senior Wellness Program @ The Kilpatrick Center @ Simon’s Rock.
Our programs shift depending upon the needs of our residents. Currently, we offer:
- Ongoing COA Programs
- Weekly Water Aerobics Program @ The Kilpatrick Center @ Simon’s Rock
- Bi-Weekly Meditation
- Monthly Lunch Program @ The Barn or @ French Park in Egremont
- Winter Art Play Workshops
- Winter-Spring Book Group
- Winter Soupers with elders, the Highway Department & park staff
- Summer Community Conversations about Aging Well
- Low-cost Van Service to Berkshire County locations & beyond
The Council on Aging also works with individuals who are seeking help or support in living independently at home. We make referrals to home care placement services and agencies for longer term needs. For temporary and one-time needs, we have volunteers in town who will help with an individual’s needs for grocery shopping or transport to medical services.
In addition, the Director is available to help plan lifestyle adaptations when an individual’s personal or physical circumstances change.