Community Forest Stewardship Public Meeting
Community Forest Stewardship Initiative – Notice and Agenda
Tuesday, February 27, 2024, at 7pm at Town Hall and via Zoom
Please click the link below to join the webinar:
- Review of the Online data viewer map tool and how to use it.
- Review of the Crowdsource map and how to mark locations of invasive populations.
- Discussion of the types of threats, vulnerabilities, prototypical forest and road sites, and valuable natural resources we want to identify and add to maps.
- Open discussion
The Town of Mount Washington has been awarded a Community Forest Stewardship Grant through the Massachusetts Department of Conservation and Recreation (DCR). The purpose of the grant is to address the invasive species threat to our community. The grant implementation period will run through June 14, 2024. During this period BSC Group and Long View Forestry will be working with our Town to:
- develop a comprehensive map of our town’s forests, streams and wetlands that can then be used to locate invasive species populations, and
- facilitate community engagement through outreach, education and training about invasive species identification and data collection.
A public town meeting is scheduled for February 27 from 7pm to 8pm at the Town Hall to introduce town residents and homeowners to the Community Forest Stewardship project. The meeting will be a hybrid in-person/Zoom event (see below link). The Mount Washington Select Board encourages all residents and homeowners to attend.
Invasive Species are a threat to our communities’ forests and wetlands, a public health and safety hazard and a financial risk to property owners. Everyone has a role to play. Learn what you can do to protect yourself and your family, your property, and your neighbors.
Here is the link to the Grant process and implementation https://mountwashington-ma.gov/departments/conservation-commission/community-forest-stewardship/